UTP University of Science and Technology (Uniwersytet Technologiczno-Przyrodniczy – the UTP) in Bydgoszcz has more than 60 year-long tradition. In 1951, when the first school of higher education in Bydgoszcz was created- the Evening School of Engineering. Early in its history, it educated chemical and mechanical engineers. Having been converted into the Engineering School of Higher Education in 1964, full-time, evening and external programmes were offered by 4 technical faculties.
The development of agriculture studies was launched in 1969 by the establishment in Bydgoszcz of the branch of the Agricultural School of Higher Education from Poznań. This branch became independent in 1972 by turning into the Faculty of Agriculture with Animal Production Section. Pursuant to the decree of Prime Minister of August 20, 1974, those two schools were joined into the Jan and Jędrzej Śniadecki University of Technology and
Agriculture in Bydgoszcz, renamed the UTP University of Science and Technology in 2006.
UTP University of Science and Technology is a multi-profile school of higher education; the only one in the region which integrates both agricultural and technological sciences and the only one in the region educating engineers. Throughout the 60-year-long history 38, 000 students have graduated from the University, mostly majoring in civil engineering and machinery construction and agriculture.